Well the Knopp klan has had the worst week ever. I spent the last weekend getting ready for a crazy week, catching up on laundry and planning some meals, because we knew the week ahead was going to be very busy. The week was going to include 2 football games for Logan and 3 basketball games for Chancey and Keegan planned to come on Thursday (he rearranged a couple of things so he could be home for Chancey's Thursday night basketball game).
Monday afternoon things just went all wrong. The Declo football team had to win at least one game of the Kansas City playoff against Valley & Glenns Ferry in order to go to the state playoffs, the playoff was held in Jerome. Chancey had her first basketball game in Burley that evening. So Kory and his 2 friends (Rob & Trace) headed for Jerome. I stayed to watch Chancey play basketball. I ran home afterwork to take care of the dogs. I let Logan's dog Remi out of his kennel and went in the house for a bit, when it was time to leave for Chancey's game I couldn't find Remi. Well the short story is Remi had been hit by a beet truck and was killed! I was devasted and knew Logan would be too. After several phone calls to Kory, my dad and others I headed into Chancey's ball game and there I sat crying. We all agreed to not tell Logan until he got home.
Chancey's game started and she was on her game, the team looked great! About 2 minutes before half-time Chancey put up a lay up and was pushed from behind. She landed on the floor and was holding her knee, crying out in pain. For all of you that know Chancey, well you know how tough she is. I ran to the floor as did her coach. She said her knee didn't bend when she came down and it took the force of her body. So the mother that was already a mess because I felt like I had killed Logan's best friend now was crying my eyes out because my daughter was in pain. I called Kory and we decided that after the game, because Chancey didn't want to go until the game was over, she needed to go to the Emergency room. By the way she had 14 points before she got hurt!
Kory, Rob, Trace & my dad all headed home from Jerome. Chancey and I headed for the ER. My dad decided he would go to our house and start digging a grave for Remi and be there when Logan got home. Kory meet us at the ER. My mom had been at the game and she was at the ER with Chancey and I. We were all really worried about Logan, so we decided that Kory should head home and be there with my Dad to tell Logan. I have never felt so much guilt as a mother, I knew there were trucks on the road! Logan who turned 17 on October 29th (yes right in the middle of our worst week) has gone from a boy to an amazing young man. We all knew Logan was devasted because Remi was his best friend and he had spent hours training Remi to hunt w/ him. Logan and Kory ended up coming to the hospital to get Chancey & I.
I know I have told Logan a thousand times how sorry I am. As a parent you never want to see your child hurt, so it's even harder when you have caused the hurt.
On tuesday we took Chancey to see Dr. Crane. He is thinking at best she would be out for a month, but we had to have an MRI to see exactly what the damage was. Dr. Crane thought she had a small tear in the outside ligament of her knee. The MRI was scheduled for Friday.
Wednesday was Logan's 17th birthday and since Chancey couldn't play basketball. We sent her on the bus with her team to Wood River and had all the grandparents over for dinner and Logan's birthday. Kory and I both knew eventually Logan would want to get another dog, he has so much love for animals and he needs one in his life. So we ended up giving him money, so that when he was ready he could find a dog or puppy.
Keegan knew his family needed him, so he did come home Thursday afternoon. Since Chancey couldn't play he went pheasant hunting with my brother and Logan. Friday he went to work with Kory and thank goodness because they were really busy. Chancey had her MRI and we meet w/ Dr. Crane on Tuesday morning to find out the results. Friday night Logan's football game (round one of the state playoff's) was against Malad! Declo won!!! So we play again next week against the defending State Champs - West Jefferson.
Well we are now to Saturday and yes things are looking up! Our family headed for Twin - we needed a few things at Costco and Logan wanted to go to Sportman's! Logan had been looking for another dog, before we lost Remi! He really wanted a pointer, but Mom & Dad said no more dogs. Well there was an ad in the paper for a German Wiredhair Pointer and he decided to call about the puppy. After shopping in Twin, Logan asked if we could call and just go look at the puppy. Of course Kory and I said yes, we called and got directions. The puppy was in Jerome. The gentleman had 2 puppies left, they had both been the first 2 picked and other people had paid deposits on them, but then could afford to take them. He had one male that was solid brown, well it didn't take away all of Logan's hurt, but they were instantly friends! So Logan paid the man (he really didn't want to let the puppy go but he couldn't keep both of them) and we welcomed home ACE! He is really mellow and Cloey is loving having a friend! We miss Remi, but Ace has a great owner and he will get tons of love and lots of hunting!!!
Logan and Ace!
1 comments:
That breaks my heart!!! I didn't know! I know that Remi was sure loved. Ace looks like he will be a good dog! I hope all goes well with Chancey! I may have to find out who pushed her so that I can do a little pushing of my own!! :) I hope this next week is better!! Sorry for the loss!!! We love you all!!
Post a Comment